5.23.2010

20. What if my partner has bad taste in music?

What if your boyfriend or girlfriend has bad taste in music? No, not different from your taste - straight up bad taste. Not, "He likes country, I like rap." More like, "She likes ICP and Heidi Montag, and I like sounds that don't make my ears want to commit suicide."


Erica: Say your whole relationship is lining up like the planets 2012. You have lots of other things in common - movies, education, food, values, sense of humor, etc. But whenever you get in the car, it's WWIII in the VW for who can get their iPod (or Zune) plugged in first. What to do, what to do.

Take it as just another r-ship hardship to be dealt with head-on. You've got to compromise, and hopefully your superior music taste will radiate onto your significant other. Is what their listening to just a guilty pleasure? Don't hold it against them if they just have to hear "I'm a Slave 4 U" once in a while, or crank "Bawitdaba" when it comes on the radio. You can't expect everyone to like what you like, however "superior" it may be, and you can't expect whomever you're dating to automatically take to your preferences.

Believe it or not, for a few years me and Dan had pretty much identical taste in music. Then I stopped lying to myself because I just can't deny pop, and there's nothing wrong with that. When I'm by myself, I listen to whatever speaks to me at that moment. Yeah, I still pull up some of Dan's go-to jewels, Iron & Wine or the New Amsterdams, when the time is right because it takes me back. But when Dan and I are sharing listening space, we trade off. One album for me (ladies first), one album for him. All under one circumstance - the other person can't hate what you want to play. And I mean hate like you hate getting a flat tire on the freeway. I've ex-ed a couple of bands, and Dan's done the same. And you'll be happy to know we both fully enjoy Justin Timberlake. (Remember, it's always sweet when it's your album turn and you pick one of your boo's favies.)

So in other words, don't freak out about what your lovely listens to in their own time. But when you're together, lean on your similarities. Find the compromise and use it.


Jill: What do you do when your beau has an awful taste in music? Luckily for me, all the guys I’ve been with have had a great taste in music and that taste rubbed off on me. I’ve been interested in guys whose musical pinnacle stretched no further than Dave Matthew’s Band (I love me some Dave, but there’s more to the world than “Ants Marching”). Side note on Dave fans –aka- Dave fans that give Dave Matthews Band fans a bad name: They just want any excuse to don their pseudo moccasins, khaki shorts and pastel colors and harp on about “One Sweet World.”

Anyway, your partner’s musical taste says a lot about who they are. Do they prefer acoustic songs? They’re probably pretty sensitive and in touch with their feelings. Heavy mental means they like to rock out and typically don’t give a f*ck. Progressive rock shows they’re ready to take on new styles and appreciate odd musical influences. Musical theater? Showy and sassy! Classical? Profound and artistic. Jazz music signals a free spirit, someone who likes to groove. People who love pop music enjoy staying current with the times. Every musical styling says something different. What does your music style say about you or your partner?

Evaluate the kind of music you love compared to your partners. Are there similarities/differences? Does your partner prefer sweet melodies to rockin’ solos? Do they consider Nickelback’s debut album a work of genius (Why am I always hating on Nickelback? Because they’re what’s wrong with the world)? If so, do like Lester Bangs in Almost Famous. Be a musical mentor. Let your lover borrow the Rolling Stones, Yes, Cars, Cure, Clash or Bowie albums you undoubtedly have. Time to explore new horizons, one sexy song at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment